These nine modules will give you step-by-step guidance on how you can put your money to work in a way that feels good to you.
Invest Your Values
What is values-aligned investing and why is it important to women?
Uncover Your Money Stories
The stories we tell ourselves about money can help us or hurt us.
Build Your Foundation
To be a smart confident investor, you need some baseline knowledge.
Give Your Cash Meaning
Your banking choices matter more than you might think.
Invest in Impact Bonds
Fixed income offers opportunities to make a deep impact.
Find Beneficial Stocks
Your stock portfolio can include environmental and social values.
Discover Private Investing
As angel investors, we can support female entrepreneurs.
There are many ways to diversify your portfolio and your impact.
A key step in aligning your values is finding the right support.
Amplify Your Philanthropy
Traditionally, investing and philanthropy have served two separate purposes. Impact investing has disrupted this paradigm and provided philanthropists with new avenues for amplifying their charitable goals. This workbook offers suggestions on how you can use your grant dollars in new ways that deepen your impact.
Get the Book
Written by Invest for Better co-founder Janine Firpo, Activate Your Money combines stories of women’s personal finance journeys along with practical and actionable investment strategies. You can use it alone or in an Invest for Better Circle.
Watch our Videos
Tap into our robust library of “how to” videos that walk you through tools and tips that you can apply to your investing today.
Blogs and newsletters
You can can subscribe to these free resources for even more information about values-aligned, green and sustainable investing.
- B The Change informs and inspires people who have a passion for using business as a force for good in the world. Published by B Lab and the community of B Corps.
- Breaking Good provides breaking news in social good, curated by the Case Foundation. You can sign up for updates to be sent to your email.
- For What It Is Worth is a website and weekly newsletter supported by Jean Case and her team. Their goal is to provide the latest resources, news, and trends to help you confidently align your investments with your values.
- Green Money offers an e-Journal and website that covers sustainable business, impact investing, renewable energy, organic agriculture, and ethically-made products.
- Just Capital engages with large corporations to determine how they perform on the public’s priorities. You can sign up for the Just Report, a weekly roundup of “news and insights into the future of capitalism and the movement to build a more just and equitable marketplace in America today.”
- Mission Throttle Journal is dedicated to accelerating philanthropic innovation in communities. The journal provides stories, insights, and observations from the field.
- SustainFI provides a free newsletter on sustainable investing, with an emphasis on ESG, or environmental, social, and governance investing.
- US|SIF, the US Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment, provides a wealth of information and training about investing for positive change.
Invest with a lens on a specific social issue
- Gender Lens: Suzanne Biegel is a pioneer in gender-lens investing. Her website, Catalyst at Large, is a great starting point to explore this investment lens. Suzanne was instrumental in bringing Project Sage to the Wharton School of Business. This initiative tracks private debt and equity funds around the world that are supporting women.
- Climate Lens: US|SIF, a values-aligned research and advocacy organization, released the Investing to Curb Climate Change Guide to highlight the types of investments individuals can make to address the challenges imposed by climate change. This 7-page primer is a helpful introduction.
- Social Justice Lens: An Investor’s Guide to Investing for Racial Equity. This is a short, informative article describing this lens and the types of investments that are available. It was written by Kristin Hull, founder and portfolio manager of Nia Global Solutions.
- Racial Justine Lens: The Racial Justice Exclusion List is part of the work initiated by Rachel Robasciotti to address social justice issues. This list includes companies involved in prisons, immigration detention, surveillance, and occupied territories.
Other investor membership organizations
- Confluence Philanthropy Affinity group available to foundations, grant makers, and individual donors who want to participate in and/or accelerate the field of mission-related investing.
- High Water Women is an organization founded by women in the hedge fund and investment industries with a focus on economic empowerment of women and children, values-based investing, and enriched educational opportunities for low-income youth.
- Mission Investors Exchange is the leading network for foundations seeking to grow and deepen their impact investing practice. The organization can also deliver the latest on impact investing to your inbox.
- Social Venture Circle brings together social entrepreneurs, investors, capacity builders, and policy makers who are using their businesses, financial assets, and other resources to support social purpose ventures. Members tend to be accredited investors.
- Toniic is a global community of asset owners, who are seeking deeper positive impact across a spectrum of capital. The organization serves family offices, foundations, and individuals.
- Women with Capital is a boutique membership organization that serves HNW women, who want to learn more about investing with impact among a group of peers. WWC currently offers two cohorts a year for small groups of women. IFB co-founder, Janine Firpo, is one of the instructors.